Search This Blog

Monday, April 30, 2018

April Book List

Eleven reads on this month's book list.

Rules of Prey by John Sandford  While I wait for Sandford's next Virgil Flowers novel, I've begun reading his Lucas Davenport series.

The Last Move by Mary Burton  I believe this is the first book I've read by this author. This one is a stand alone (she has a number of series) about a female FBI agent. It was good enough that I'll probably read more of her books.

The Shell Collector by Anthony Doerr  A collection of short stories, some of which I liked better than others. Doerr writes beautifully.


Sleep No More by P.D. James is also a collection of some of her older short stories, published after her death.

Shadow Prey by John Sandford is the second of the Lucas Davenport series and features the Native American population of Minnesota.

Perennials by Julie Cantrell  I picked this book up because of its title and its colorful cover. There should have been more about perennials and less preaching. I won't be reading any more of her books.

Still Me by Jojo Moyes I love this author so much. Still Me is a continuation of her first two books. Louisa Clark moves to New York City, leaving her boyfriend and family back home in England, to be the assistant to a rich man's much younger trophy wife. Louisa learns more about herself and who/what she wants to be. I highly recommend this author. Can't wait for the next book!

The Tuscan Child by Rhys Bowen  Bowen has long been a favorite author of mine. I was looking forward to this book which begins with a RAF pilot in WWII and then forwards to 1973 and his daughter. After he dies and she finds clues to his past when he was shot down over Tuscany and becomes a POW, she goes to Italy to learn more about what happened to him. The descriptions of the villages and the food makes one want to  go there.

Stella Bain by Anita Shreve  When Shreve died last month, I looked through my blog posts for the titles of her's I've read and did not find this one, but parts of it sounded familiar. So I looked through my book diary and found that I had read it in 2014. That was the year I didn't post the titles of all my reads. I continued reading it again. It is still a good book.

Eyes of Prey and Silent Prey by John Sandford are #'s 3 & 4 in the Lucas Davenport series. Silent Prey follows up Eyes of Prey when the serial killer from book three escapes and travels to NYC where he continues his killing ways in book four. The detectives in New York ask Davenport to help them because of his experience with the mad man. Silent Prey is my favorite in the series so far, with all its twists, turns and many layers, it reminds me of some of my favorite British authors.

I did get a photo of April's full Pink Moon last night, with Jupiter (?) visible in the bottom left corner.

And again about 5:30 this morning through the clouds and with a lunar halo, which according to folklore, predicts unsettled weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment