Search This Blog

Thursday, April 12, 2018

Throw Back Thursdays

With Zuckerberg appearing before Congress to answer questions regarding his company's data scandal, I am reminded of one of my favorite things about Facebook - Throw Back Thursdays. I love looking at old photos, doing the tripping down memory lane, wondering where the years went. Even when fewer and fewer FB friends posted throw backs on Thursday, I still did. Until last June when I decided to quit posting on FB and do more blogging. I can do Throw Back Thursdays on my blog!

Another media story reminded me of a trip to Mark Twain Cave my kids and I took years ago. The cave is located along the Mississippi River just south of Hannibal, Missouri. Hannibal is across the river from Plainville, Illinois. So I think this was the time we drove over to Plainville to pick up Grandma Ridnour and bring her back home. She had been visiting her cousin Nellie for a week, something she did every year. I think this was 1974, maybe '75. It is a good thing a bit of the sign is showing, otherwise I would have had trouble identifying where the photo was taken. We had so much fun on that trip.

The media story was about a native of Quincy, IL (just upriver from Plainville) who had moved to Florida and met and married a man named Tom Sawyer. They had a son whom they named Tom, who also has a son named Tom. They also have a daughter named, of course, Becky. They come back to Hannibal for Tom Sawyer Days held each year on July 4. The piece I saw on TV about them was filmed at the Mark Twain Cave.

Here are some even older photos I scanned this week. They did have dates on them, so in order:

The cutest Douglas Sumner ever - Christmas at his Grandpa Louis' and Grandma Ruth's, 1963.





Grandpa Louis with baby Michael Eugene, April, 1964. Dad never looked very comfortable holding the little ones.







My Grandma Lynam (Bessie) in front of her daughter's home in Glendale, AZ, January, 1965.
Good picture of you, Grandma. Miss you and Aunt Leona.




Rare photo of me, laughing out loud. Obviously posed. For some reason, this makes me think of my niece, Christine. I well remember the day. October 17, 1965, a gorgeous Autumn Sunday. Mom, Dad, Kenny, Doug and I had driven to Nine Eagles State Park Southeast of Davis City in Decatur County. I can't find the date Nine Eagles was established as a state park, sometime in the early 60's, but my memory says we went there because it was a new State Park, one we had never been to before. That is Kenny fishing in the background.

Dougie and Mikey (my nephew), February 1966, taken at Uncle Ron's near Maryville, MO the 'Colorado send-off' family day I mentioned in Tuesday's blog post.

Son, Douglas, and nephew, Mike, again, backyard at Mom & Dad's, April, 1967.

Also April, 1967, but a warmer day apparently. Doug, Ginger and Missy on the running board of Dad's old Model A. Look at the holes in those knees!
I love Throw Back Thursdays! (Again)

No comments:

Post a Comment