Search This Blog

Thursday, April 26, 2018

My Weight Loss Diary

As mentioned yesterday, in the year after my stroke, I gained twenty pounds. I stayed right around 173, but at times went up to 175-6-7. I could lose back to 173, but hardly ever lower. Granted, I never was too diligent about trying.

Last fall, after I started going to a massage therapist and began being more consistent about exercising. I began thinking about really trying to lose some weight. Then, around the middle of December, I had a bad, 'sick as a dog', 24-hour bug or food poisoning, with the results being a 6+ pound weight loss. For the first time in years, I was below 170 pounds. Something clicked in my head. I would actively try to lose the weight I had gained after my stroke.

I began the journey at 167. The first week I was down to 165. I stayed there for a week or so and then, yay! I was down to 162.8. January 20, still at 162.8. January 23, finally the scale moved down again, 161.4. This was also the day I retired my five pound dumbbells and went to the eight pound ones.

January 25, Mom's birthday, and I was down to 160.2. "Woohoo, this time of day eating thing seems to be working for me. I should be back into the 150's by the end of the month. I really don't notice much difference in how I look, yet. Maybe a bit in the face and the waistlines of clothes don't feel as tight. Where does weight go when you lose it?"

January 30, Still no movement on the scale, 160.2, but I feel thinner. My 7th great-grandson was born at 3:16 a.m., Maverick Steven weighed 6lbs, 7ozs.

Here it is, February 1 and I'm still stuck at 160.2.

Sunday, February 4, again FINALLY! Below 160 - 159.2 exactly one pound. Now, can I lose six more pounds by the fifth anniversary date of my stroke?

Wednesday, February 7, Another, larger, drop, 157.6. It's nice to know that I can lose weight; still doesn't show that much.

February 17, Still at 157.4. About a week ago I went up to 159. Quickly went back to 157.4 and have stayed there all week.

February 21, Back up to 159. I didn't even have to step on the scale, I already knew it. I could 'feel' it. Funny that I could feel a less than two pound gain. I have to stop losing and gaining this same weight.

Saturday, February 24, 156.8, four pounds to go to be back to my pre-stroke weight and two months left to do it. I plan to go even lower, back into the 140's range. I have been having slight headaches in the evening and when I wake up in the morning. Googling it tells me they can be from not eating enough.

Wednesday, February 28, the last day of February and I'm down to 155.4. Yesterday I tried on my khaki slacks and I can get back into them!

Wednesday, March 7 - I haven't weighed in a week. I was afraid I had gained and didn't want to confirm. I didn't feel like I had lost any weight. Today - 153.2! - down 2lbs, 2 ozs!!! I have now lost that 20 lbs I gained five years ago after my stroke. More than 20 if I count the times I got up to 175. Now, can I lose another three or four lbs before April 25?

Wednesday, March 14, No weight lost, but none gained either, which is more important after Brynley's first birthday birthday cake and celebration - 153.2. 

Friday, March 16 - 151.6 - It must just take awhile to get that scale to move. How else to account for an almost two lb loss in two days? Whatever...I'm still losing and in one of the places needed - my legs. I did wear my khakis to Brynley's b'day party. Still, no one has noticed my 20+ lb weight loss. Ha!

Wednesday, March 21 - 150.4 - Closer to under 150 every week. While I lose the pounds, I'm still doing stretching and weight lifting every day. Haven't been able to do the mile walk for sometime, don't even try because my left knee hurts so bad. Places I notice the weight loss - my face, my legs and my breasts.

Wednesday, March 28 - Still at 150.4 - No loss, nor gain in a week. Surely, it must be time for another move of the digital marker? Just so it isn't UP! I want to break into the 140's even though I've accomplished more than the 20 lb loss I set out for.

Sunday, April 8 - 149.2! Finally, cracked the 140's after 2-1/2 weeks trying and seeing 150.4 over and over. It's harder to lose a pound now, but I still want to see if I can get to 145 by the 25th of April. That would make an overall loss of 30 lbs. So 4 lbs in 3 wks???

Tuesday, April 10 - 147.4! A full three pounds since that long stay at 150.4. I was going to quit weighing every day after no change yesterday, but couldn't resist checking this morning. Maybe I will be down to 145 by the 25th? WooHoo!

Monday, April 16 - 146.8. Not a big loss, but a loss. Very happy. Nine days to go. The jeans I was wearing in December I can now slide right off without even unsnapping and unzipping! I'm back into some I haven't worn for years!

Tuesday, April 24 - Still at 146.8. Looking this over, I see I didn't explain that "time of day eating thing" on January 25. Also known as "time restricted feeding", the idea is to eat only between the hours of 8:00a.m. and 4:00p.m. It is something we learned about on T.V. I decided to try it.
I continued eating my bowl of cereal around 7:30-8:00; lunch at noon with our routine of alternating a 'big' meal one day and a light lunch like sandwiches & soup or chips the next day. Lunch is the only meal I prepare. Individually we decide what we eat in the evening. The difference for me is that I try not to eat anything after 4:00p.m. and limit what I do eat to a salad, granola bar or yogurt. If I'm not feeling hungry, I might eat just a few soda crackers. I cut back on my portion sizes and successfully gave up sweets. I also quit drinking a glass of wine and the crackers and cheese or pretzels along with it. The other thing that I had heard/read was that sometimes if you feel hungry it is because you are actually thirsty, so if I do feel a little hungry I drink a glass of water or unsweetened green tea.

Thursday, April 26 - Still at 146.8 this morning. Darn, I didn't make the full 30lb. loss, but I am going to keep trying and will add updates to this when appropriate. The least I ever weighed as an adult was in 1967. I was 24 years old and still my full 5'8-1/2".  Working full time, taking college courses at night, taking care of my five-year-old son and stress got me there. When you're young, weight loss makes you more attractive. When you're old, it either doesn't show or makes the wrinkles more prominent.


No comments:

Post a Comment