Search This Blog

Monday, April 2, 2018

All Those Leftover Eggs

Oh, the double joys of Easter, coloring eggs and then hunting them. I borrowed this photo of my friend's daughter, Taytum, because 1) it reminds me of myself doing the same thing when I was young and 2) I don't have at hand the photo of my son and nephew hunting Easter eggs that I want to use.
(When they were the ages they were here .....)
I always think of my sister at Easter because of her answer for using up all the leftover hard boiled eggs - Eggs à la Goldenrod. I don't know where she came up with the idea or the recipe, but I think of it as definitively hers.

I looked for the recipe in Mom's recipe box, but didn't find it there. Searching online gave me two possibilities for where Betty might have learned it. One was from the 1956 Betty Crocker cookbook, which is the one I'm going to reference. The other possible source I found in a couple of blogs, women my age or older who wrote about the special eggs being one of the first recipes they learned in Home Ec class. I don't remember eggs à la goldenrod from Home Ec, but I had a different teacher than Betty so maybe she did learn it there.

Eggs à la Goldenrod per the other Betty

4 hard-cooked eggs 
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
salt and pepper to taste
4 slices buttered toast torn to bite size pieces

Peel and chop boiled eggs (This recipe says to separate the whites and yolks and mashing the yolks to use on top as garnish. Our Betty just diced them all together.)

In one quart heavy saucepan, melt butter over low heat, whisk in the flour, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat until smooth and bubbly. Remove from heat and stir in the milk. 
Return to heat and heat to boiling, stirring or whisking constantly. Boil one minute or until sauce thickens slightly. Remove from heat and fold in the chopped eggs.
Arrange toast pieces on four plates. Pour the creamed eggs over the toast. Top with egg yolks if kept separate. Can also sprinkle with a little paprika.

I add some mustard when I make this. I can also see adding sausage crumbles and serving over hashbrowns or biscuits instead of toast. It is a good, basic, recipe to which you can add your own touches.

Some comments on the blogs I read were from people who remembered this as comfort food when they were ill, or a favorite dish when they visited grandparents.

I will always think of it as the way my sister used up those leftover Easter eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment