Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Siblings Day

So, if you want to want to post a blog for Siblings Day, where do you start? At the beginning? Or the end?
At the beginning is easy - there were so many photos taken along the way. Each new addition. As we grew. While we were all still 'at home'.
But people don't change as much as they age. Fewer family photos are taken. Siblings marry and move away.


I became a sibling and my brother had a sibling, as soon as I was born. Ronald was 3-1/2 years old in 1943.


I first had siblings, plural, when my sister was born in 1945. Ronald was five, I was almost two.

I may not have known the term, sibling rivalry, at the age of three
, but I certainly recognized the feelings. That was my warm one-piece suit Betty was wearing and my tricycle she was seated on.

I was ten when another sibling joined the family. Now there was one I could wrap my arms around; literally. No jealous feelings about him.

Siblings in their Easter finery, with Dad, 1954.



A less formal photo of the entire family the following year.




One of my favorite photos of all of us taken when we hosted the Cousins Reunion in 1957. Ron was senior in high school and I was a freshman. Betty was 12 and Leslie was 3.

This is the only photo of all four of us together that I can think of. It was taken in February, 1966, just before Ron and Marianne moved to Colorado. Ron is in the middle, back, with Les on the right. Betty in red with me next to her, front.

I know we were all together after that, but I can't think of any photos of the four of us. If Les has one I hope he'll scan it and send it to me. Our family changed alot after this photo was taken. Ron and I both divorced and remarried. Leslie went away to college in Missouri, stayed there and married. Ron and his new wife moved back to Iowa, so I know we were all together many times before my sister died in '73, I just can't think of any photos.

So, my advice, if you are celebrating Siblings Day or ANY occasion with your family, take a photo of all of you together. You never know when it is going to be your last opportunity.
(Ron, Les, Me and Mom after Grandma Ridnour's funeral, August, 1991)

No comments:

Post a Comment