Search This Blog

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Years Before There Was a Blog

I have posted so many poems it is hard to believe I have never used this one - one of my very favorites. I found the copy I had printed off and saved in 2006.

The Song of Wandering Aengus (By William Butler Yeats)

I went out to the hazel wood,

Because a fire was in my head,

And cut and peeled a hazel wand,

And hooked a berry to a thread;

And when white moths were on the wing,

And moth-like stars were flickering out,

I dropped the berry in a stream

And caught a little silver trout.


When I had laid it on the floor

I went to blow the fire aflame,

But something rustled on the floor,

And someone called me by my name:

It had become a glimmering girl

With apple blossom in her hair

Who called me by my name and ran

And faded through the brightening air.


Though I am old with wandering

Through hollow lands and hilly lands,

I will find out where she has gone,

And kiss her lips and take her hands;

And walk among long dappled grass,

And pluck till time and times are done

The silver apples of the moon,

The golden apples of the sun.



After Robert James Waller became famous for writing "The Bridges of Madison County" he recorded "The Ballads of Madison County". 

Some of the pieces on it are sung and some are spoken. "Golden Apples of the Sun" is Waller reciting Yeats' poem.

 For me, it is a beautifully haunting rendition and every time I read the poem, in my head I am hearing Waller's voice.




And there is a photo that comes to mind when I read/hear the line "with apple blossom in her hair" - this one of my Mom and two of her great-granddaughters, Alyssa on the left and Katrina on the right - all three with crab apple blossoms in their hair.


Special poem, cassette tape, photo and memories.....



No comments:

Post a Comment