Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 4, 2022

A New Friend and Her Wacky Cake

 

When Doug was three years old we moved to a big old house west of Brooks, the one we called the Odell Place.

Doug's dad, Kenny, worked at the Hy-Vee store in Corning and when a young man about his age transferred there from the Shenandoah store and moved to a house south of Brooks, the two began sharing rides to and from work.

Paul and his wife (I can't remember her name but I think it was Angie) had a child about Doug's age. It wasn't long before we became friends and started socializing.



We were invited to their house for dinner one evening and Angie invited Doug and me to come early before the guys got there after work - the kids could play and she and I could visit while she prepared dinner. She asked if I had ever made a chocolate wacky cake. Not only had I never made one I had never heard of it. She said it was a wacky cake because you didn't need eggs, butter or milk to make it - not even a mixing bowl. Also that it was the best chocolate cake ever.

Wacky Cake aka Crazy Cake or Depression Cake

1 1/2 cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 cup sugar, 1 Tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tsp vanilla, 5 Tbsps vegetable oil, 1 C water.

Preheat oven to 350°. Into an ungreased 8x8 baking pan, sift together flour, soda, salt, cocoa powder and sugar. Spread mixture evenly in the pan and make two small holes and one large hole in the mixture.

Pour the vegetable oil in the large hole and the vanilla and vinegar into the two small holes. Pour the water over everything and mix with a fork until everything is blended. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Chocolate Icing (optional)

1/4 C milk, 1/3 C butter, 3 Tbsps cocoa powder, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 1/2 to 3 C's powdered sugar.

Heat milk, butter and cocoa powder in a small saucepan until it comes to a simmer. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Stir the powdered sugar in one cup at a time until smooth. Pour over the cake.

Years later I would realize that this was the cake my Grandma Ridnour stirred up when unexpected company stopped in. She could make it and serve it in less than an hour. It was the only chocolate cake that I ever liked. Mmm, warm chocolate cake and a cup of coffee. How I would love to be able to drop in on her again, give her a hug and share some cake and coffee with her. I don't think I ever made the cake but I know my sister Betty often made it.

I looked through Mom's recipe box to see if Grandma's recipe was in there but I didn't find it. What I did find was Mom's recipe for Fudge Frosting. There's nothing unusual about the recipe itself. What intrigue's me is what is written in the corner: From a young man. From a young man? That's rather cryptic. Why didn't she just write down the young man's name? Hm-m.

It isn't unusual for me to remember my Grandmother and my sister when I think of Wacky Cake, but it is funny that I always think of Angie and that long ago short friendship. I suppose because she was the first to introduce me to the crazy cake. 


Bud loves chocolate cake. I probably should make one of these for him some day.

No comments:

Post a Comment