Search This Blog

Sunday, January 2, 2022

Delving Into The Old Photos Again

I had reason to pull out the boxes of photos yesterday, going through them looking for some specific pictures. In the process I saved out a bunch to scan, most of them from Grandma Delphia's that I ended up with. 

Like this one from her parents' 50th Wedding Anniversary Celebration. Her Mom and Dad aren't in the photo even though the day was to honor them.  This group is made up mostly of Means cousins. Grandma Delphia Means Ridnour is the second from the left sitting in the front row. Her sister, Drothel Means Perryman is sitting on the right with her husband Lloyd Perryman standing behind her.

My Grandpa Joe Ridnour is the second from the left in the back row. Grandma's cousin Shelburn Means is the young man on the far left in back. Shel's son Harrison J. and I were in the same class in highschool. I scanned several more pictures of Means family members to share another day.


This photo is of my great grandparents Katherine and Rufus Ridnour with my grandfather Joe when he was a baby. I'm using it again because when I look at it now I'm struck by how many in my family share resemblances to this cute baby, including some of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren.


This picture of my little sister Betty, my big brother Ronald and me was taken in May, 1951 which explains why Ron is so proudly holding that rod and reel - he must have gotten it for his 11th birthday.

We are sitting on our version of a teeter-totter that we made with a board balanced across some left over piece of machinery.


A slightly younger Betty and Ramona proudly (?) showing off our Moorman's Feed balloons. The Moorman's salesman must have called on Dad that day.

It looks as though Trixie just got booted out the door as Laddie looks on worriedly. 



And speaking of Dad (Louis), here he is all dressed up. My guess is he was going to a funeral. That was about the only time he ever wore a suit. There's no date on the photo, if there was I could probably figure out whose funeral it was.

He's definitely posing. I wonder who he was imagining being; what was going through his mind?


I was just telling someone about the dolls Betty and I got for Christmas, how I snuck downstairs before anyone else and saw Betty's name on the blonde doll in the pink dress and mine on the brunette in the yellow dress. I switched names because I wanted the blonde doll. I also see toy telephones which were a favorite. I could use mine to play 'office'. I also remember playing many games of Chinese Checkers on that board.

Our Christmases now are very low key since we started having our family Christmas in July. Doug and Shelly did come down for lunch on Christmas Eve and brought us this beautiful Poinsettia. Shelly said as soon as she saw it, it was the right one for me - and she was right. I love the colors. 

It looked and felt more like Christmas today with the snow and cold weather than it did on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. I liked it better when it was in the 30's.


No comments:

Post a Comment