Search This Blog

Saturday, January 8, 2022

A Different Photo Review of 2021

At the end of December I did a month by month review of 2021 using some of my best (in my opinion) nature photos. I decided I should do a review featuring people. So here it is:

None of my January photos had people in them, so I borrowed one from my granddaughter Alyssa's page.

This is great-grandson Maverick on the sled being pulled by his sister Lily. Sorry, I can't remember the dog's name.

They live in MN, so plenty of snow. The picture was taken on January 25, my mother's birthday. 



February 18 - and again a borrowed picture - of my newest great-grandson Louis Edward and his mother Kathryn. 

I was so surprised when she told me the baby's name because it was my father's name. I'm sure the name was chosen more because it is her dad's middle name than for my dad, but I was overcome by sentiment when she told me and I still feel that way.



March 6 brought our first in person visit from family members. We had had our first covid vaccination but were still being careful. It was such a lovely, warm day that we were able to socially distance on the patio.

It had been so long since great-granddaughter Brynley had seen us it took awhile for her to get over being shy. Her brother Rodney didn't have that problem. 
It was so wonderful to see these two and their mom, granddaughter Katrina.



April 11 and I got to meet my new great-grandson Louis in person.

By then we'd had both our covid shots and felt safe about being with family members.

It was so great to see and hug everyone. Especially this little one and his cousins.



Taking half-day trips to nearby parks had been our way of escaping from the sameness of self-isolating for more than a year.

On May 12 we explored Hanging Rock county park along the Middle Raccoon River at Redfield.

After a morning here and at Nations Bridge Park north of Stuart, we had our first meal out in almost two years. Ruby's Pub and Grill in Stuart was a good place to stop for lunch.


June 22-23 we got really adventurous and went to Mt. Vernon, IA to visit granddaughter Dominique and her significant other, Ian.
We pretty much kept on the go the whole time visiting nearby state parks, Stone City and Sutliff where this now, pedestrian-only, bridge spans the Cedar River.
We had lunch at Baxa's Sutliff Store and Tavern and then headed back to Mt. Vernon so I could look for places I remembered from when I had lived there in 1967.
It was a great trip with the only downside being that the pool was still closed due to derecho damage the previous August.



July 3 - a chance to celebrate the 4th as well as the birthdays of great-grandsons Greyson (left) and Ayden. No, they're not twins, but they almost share the same birthday. Ayden was born July 1, 2014 and Greyson June 30, 2015. So they each have their own special day but the family celebrates them both at the same party.
(These two are Louis' cousins that I mentioned.)




August 1 - I got to have my picture taken with these two beautiful young women - my niece Kristi on the left and her daughter Jesse in the middle.
The occasion was a baby shower for Jesse. Her son Boston was born September 18.

It probably goes without saying that it seems like a very short time ago that I was holding Jesse when she was just three days old.


The whole month of September with no pictures of people - except on the 18th when I took a screenshot of my favorite meteorologist, Megan, using a photo I had taken and sent in. It was Creston Balloon Days and several hot air balloons  had gone right over our house and pond.
There is a bird in the photo too, though it's pretty hard to see. 


October 9 we were back in Winterset again this time to see granddaughter Deise and her significant other, Zachary. We hadn't seen them for more than two years due to Covid and distance - they live in Bettendorf.
They were in town for the annual Covered Bridges Festival. Deise is the granddaughter born on my 51st birthday. 


November 25 - Thanksgiving with family in Winterset and the opportunity to see Louis again. Oh how he has grown. So many pictures to choose from, but I especially like this one of him with his Grandpa Preston and Grandma Shalea. 
I noticed Louis is very camera aware - if it is pointed in his direction, he's watching, no matter what else is going on. He does make for cute subject matter. 

December and we're right back to where we were a year ago - being very cautious, always wearing masks when we go out, only going out for groceries and to the library and debating about seeing anyone, even family.
But we'd had our booster shots and decided for family. We invited my son Douglas and daughter-in-law Shelly here for lunch on the 24th. We had a good time. It was an excellent way to end the year.







There was one family reunion last July that was very meaningful for me. 
It was a belated 80th birthday celebration for my brother Ronald on the right. He was 80 the year before but covid delayed that party.
Younger brother Les is on the left. It was the first time the three of us had been together since September 2017. 
Ron's children and grandchildren were also there. It was great seeing them again, too. 

I do hope covid and all its mutations and variants is more controlled by warm weather so we feel more confident about seeing family this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment