Search This Blog

Thursday, January 13, 2022

Celebrating The Poet Inside All Of Us

 It's another one of those 'national' days - this one I wasn't aware of but can certainly celebrate - it is Poetry Break Day - a day created "as an appreciation of poetry".

It is a day to write a poem, read poems by your favorite poets and "to celebrate the poet inside all of us". 

I already read poems every day. And we know, much as wish I could write poetry, my attempts at doing so are pretty lame. I kept a 'Poetry Notebook' as a teenager, copying favorite poems in it. Now I do much the same thing by copying poems I like here, in my blogspot. This is one that was in that notebook but not previously shared to my blogspot:




She Walks in Beauty

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that’s best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes;
Thus mellowed to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.

One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impaired the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o’er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express,
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o’er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!


(Painting "Moonlight" by Alfred Emile Leopold Stevens)

No comments:

Post a Comment