Search This Blog

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Something Of A Winter Wonderland

Friday into Saturday's snow turned our world into a winter wonderland. It began here as rain on Friday which didn't change over to snow until Friday evening. 
This is what it has looked like all weekend - very beautiful.





Saturday morning the front door wouldn't even open because of the drifts.

I opened the garage door to the patio and saw more snow on the deck than we've seen in quite awhile. It was because the wind stayed from the east-northeast.


Earlier this afternoon I took this photo of bands of blue sky as well as what almost looked like smoke wafting along. I thought it was probably snow blowing off the trees, but I don't know for sure what it was.


Bud cleared off the deck and filled the pan we keep out there with bird seed. At one time I counted almost 40 little birds eating - mostly finches and snow birds with a few sparrows.

This little Downy Woodpecker was just one of those working on the frozen suet. Others were a Hairy Woodpecker, some Bluejays and a Red-bellied Woodpecker. 




About an hour ago I looked out and saw this on the back side of the pond dam.

At first I couldn't tell what it was.




Then she raised her head and looked around.

It was obvious she was trying to dig something out from under the snow.

She would get ahold of it and tug and tug.



It looked as though she was finally going to get what she was after.



But then this big guy came running toward her and chased her away. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes back later.


This is the first fox I've seen in awhile. She looks healthy. I was just lucky to look out the window at the right time.




It may look like a winter wonderland out there, I'm just grateful I don't have to be out in it.
The days are already growing longer - I'll be glad for Spring and warmer temps just as I am every year.


No comments:

Post a Comment