Search This Blog

Sunday, February 4, 2018

When The Chicks Leave The Nest

I've moved to smaller houses as children grew up and went out on their own. I don't know if that is why my grandparents moved to a much smaller house after their three daughters married or not.

But in 1941, they moved to this little two-bedroom house on the 80-acre farm they purchased a half mile west of Iveyville. It was on the Adams-Taylor County line about five miles from where my parents raised us.

Iveyville was named for Benjamin Ivey, a native of Cornwall, England via Grant County, Wisconsin where many Cornish lead miners had settled. He came to Iowa in 1881 and built a home and general store which also served as a post office for the Iveyville area.

When I was young, Iveyville consisted of a Methodist Church and fellowship hall on the Northeast corner of the bisecting streets, and homes on the other three corners. Mr. Ivey's former home was the one on the Northwest corner. I always liked the house because it had a second story porch which I though was so neat. I wished we had one.

I do remember their house before the porch was enclosed but for most of my life, this is how it looked. Room enough for them, their three daughters and spouses and sixteen grandchildren to crowd into for Thanksgivings, Christmases, Sunday dinners and all the other good times we had there.

Times change. The chicks leave the nest. Grandchildren grow up and move away.
But memories last.

No comments:

Post a Comment