Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 28, 2018

February Book List

A short month with plenty of good reading weather. Eleven books read and one not read.

The Enchantress of Numbers by Jennifer Chiaverini is a very interesting read about Ada Lovelace, a mathematician and the first woman to recognize the possibilities of coding and computers (back in the 1830's). The book also examines her relationship with her father, poet Lord Byron.

The Dark Of The Moon by John Sandford is the first book in his Virgil Flowers series. I learned of this series via a blog when it was mentioned as being a favorite author and character and decided to check it out. As you will see from the books I read this month, I agree with that blogger. Sandford writes an interesting crime novel with lots of twists and turns and intuitive detective work.

The Witches' Tree by M. C. Beaton is the latest in her Agatha Raisin series, one I've followed and enjoyed for some time.

Heat Lightning and Rough Country by John Sandford are the next two in his Virgil Flowers series. I think part of the reason I like these books is that they are set in Minnesota - some in areas I am familiar with.

Victoria & Abdul by Shrabani Basu was something of a disappointment. It is the story of Queen Victoria and her Indian Munshi Abdul Karim during the last years of her life. This is one time when I imagine the movie will be better than the book - especially since Dame Judi Dench stars as the aged Queen Victoria.
This is where I will mention that one book I didn't read, a biography of Maggie Smith by Michael Coveney. I adore Dame Maggie and was looking forward to reading about her, but I just couldn't get past the writing.

The Grave's a Fine and Private Place by Alan Bradley is the ninth Flavia de Luce novel. I hope others are enjoying this series as much as I do as these are books I'm donating to our library. Flavia and her sisters are still mourning the death of their father, so his faithful servant and family friend takes them on a brief summer holiday to help distract them from their grief. Of course Flavia finds a body and helps detect the perpetrator. In doing so, she hits upon a way to save the family estate.

The Ninth Hour by Alice McDermott is a lovely, multi-generational story beautifully crafted. McDermott has won many awards and been a finalist for a Pulitzer Prize twice. I'm predicting that she will eventually win one. This is a book to make you think about life, death and circumstances. My favorite quote gleaned was "Love is a tonic, not a cure."

Future Home of the Living God by Louise Erdrich was one of my favorite reads this month, even though I dislike dystopian novels. Evolution stops as mysteriously as it began. Society has disintegrated. Pregnant women are being hunted and kept captive so their babies can be evaluted. The book ends with the main character remembering the last time she saw snow (she lives in Minnesota) when she was a child - how beautiful it was and how rare. I see this book as a warning about global warming and genetic modification. It is a scary and depressing read, but Erdrich's writing is so good and profound.

Bad Blood and Shock Wave by John Sandford were the last two books read this month and I've started another one. These books are like literary candy. I will have all of this series read in less than two months. But that is what I do when I find a new author.


No comments:

Post a Comment