Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Don't Go Borrowing Trouble

My mother had many old adages, don't go borrowing trouble was one of them. Most of my borrowing trouble is from worrying about something that might happen, but usually doesn't. All that worrying for nothing.

And most of the worrying happens in the middle of the night, when things always look worse than they are. I generally wake up about four hours after I've gone to sleep, but using my A-B-C to X-Y-Z naming of things (flowers, trees, cars, unusual names, etc.), I'm usually able to go back to sleep for another three or four hours.

Sunday night, well, actually, 2:43a.m. Monday morning, nothing would help me go back to sleep - because I had gone borrowing trouble. I got it in my head that we might have had a pipe freeze and break and gallon after gallon of water was being lost under our house. Not that I had any proof of such a calamity.

I recalled hearing about a neighbor to whom my scenario did happen. The owner of our mobile home park demanded that they pay the bill for the excess water loss. There was a huge disagreement and the home owners had their double wide moved out of the park.
So, not only was I worried about getting a plumber and having a pipe replaced, I had myself convinced I would have to pay the landlord a huge amount for water and/or hire a lawyer, and/or sell our home and move. Boy, when I borrow trouble, I borrow trouble!

I knew that if I woke Bud up and talked it over with him, he would reassure me that such a thing wasn't happening and I would feel better. But it wouldn't be fair to disturb his sleep just because I couldn't sleep. I would wait until morning.

I finally gave up on sleep and got up just before 4a.m. When Bud got up, I waited until he at least had a sip or two of coffee before sharing my worries. Just telling him what I was imagining made it better. I even knew I was being ridiculous.

I also knew Bud would offer to go under the house to check and make sure. Which he did. And because I had never even looked at the underpinnings, I wanted to look too. I had to get down on my hands and knees to get a good look.

Which is why my knee hurts more than usual.
I went borrowing trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment