Search This Blog

Saturday, February 10, 2018

L'Heure Bleue


I tend to think of the blue hour as that time of evening twilight, most likely because that is the time of day Guerlain was referring to when he named his famous fragrance - "The sun has set, but night has not yet fallen. It's the suspended hour. The night has not yet found its star."

But the blue hour can also refer to the dawn twilight which is when I took these pictures this morning. I was taking them because of the snow, but the quality of the light made me think, l'heure bleue.


It fell softly, without wind, to pile up as it did.

When the Amtrak train went through, this blue haze was the result.

I will still think of l'heure bleue as that time of evening, "The hour when one finally finds oneself in renewed harmony with the world and the light", because that is the time of day to which I learned the term applied. The magic hour.

(Quotes attributed to Jacques Edouard Guerlain)

No comments:

Post a Comment