Search This Blog

Saturday, July 29, 2017

More On The Way To And Around Lake Binder

Headed toward Corning earlier in the week, I knew I wanted some windmill pictures. I lucked out with this rusty-bladed one with the old sheds in the background and wildflowers in the foreground.

Horses grazing near Prescott. What was it the kids used to do if they saw a white horse? Make a wish? Was there something about spitting in your hand?

I love barns. Old barns. Unusual barns. Falling down barns. Well-kept barns. Just plain old barns. Love 'em.

The Corning Gun Club is at the South entrance of Lake Binder. If my memory is correct, the Gun Club was founded in the early 1950's - or maybe that's just when my Dad joined. I would say he was a founding member, but I'm not sure about that.

What I am sure of is that my older brother, Ronald, had the job of sitting in one of these two trap houses and loading clay pigeons into the machines that flung them out for trapshooting by the Gun Club members and guests. Why did the boys always have the interesting jobs and all the girls got to do was babysit?

Driving around the lake was a favorite pastime. I always liked the west side best. The road curved and dipped through tunnels made by overarching trees. These vines hanging down almost to the roadway are near where a small ravine empties into the lake.

A few weeks ago a friend of ours shared this photo of a 1926 Dodge saying he took the picture at Lake Binder. I've never seen the car and don't know exactly where out there it is. But I had the feeling as I took pictures near that ravine that it was the kind of place an old car would be.

Encroaching ivy working on covering this stump on the east side of the lake.

These berries were another mystery for me. They look like blueberries, but are growing on a tree. So far I haven't been able to determine exactly what they are and no, I didn't eat any. The birds will probably like them.

Another view of the lake from the spillway with milkweeds and cattails. Lake Binder was built as an additional water supply for the town of Corning.

Until Lake Binder was built, the water supply was from what we always referred to as "the old reservoir".

Although, technically I believe its name was East Lake. Now both these lakes are eclipsed by Lake Icaria. For photo ops, I prefer the two older lakes.

My picture taking occurred in the morning hours before it got too hot. But the sunset and clouds that evening provided one more photo - a perfect end for a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment