Search This Blog

Monday, July 10, 2017

July's Full ICE Moon?

July's full moon rising Saturday, July 8. I looked up the different names for the July full moon and saw 'Ice Moon'. What? Why? And then I realized I was looking at names in the Southern Hemisphere. Well, that makes sense as it would be winter there. Full Hay Moon is more fitting for our state as so much hay does get made this month.

It still amazes me that I can get this kind of close-up with my little Nikon Coolpix camera. One Native American name for July's moon is the Full Buck moon because a buck's antlers are in full growth mode.

Moon set early a.m. July 9. Thunder Moon the other full moon name for July due to the frequency of thunder storms during this summer month.

Early this morning on its way to setting with a halo which can portend rain.

And a little later with a thunderhead off to the right. We need rain. Dare I hope July's Thunder Moon will bring us some?

No comments:

Post a Comment