Search This Blog

Friday, July 21, 2017

Hotter Than A Pepper Sprout


The only kind of pepper I've grown in recent years - an ornamental called Calico. And I don't know exactly what 'hotter than a pepper sprout' is, though the Johnny Cash/June Carter song Jackson made it a common term. But I do know it is hot. Very hot. The high today is to be 100° with a heat index of 110°.

This long, hot, dry spell makes me think of the heat wave the summer of 1980. The kids and I lived in an old, two-story farm house without even the thought of air conditioning.

It was the summer we practically lived at the beach at Lake Icaria - going there as soon as I got off work and staying until the sun had gone down. Somewhere I have pictures of Kari and Preston from that time but this photo of that beach is of Preston's daughters, Deise and Dominique, and son, Devin twenty-nine years later.

Three cousins bein' cool the summer of 1980, Kari, Suzanne and Kristi. Our grass isn't quite as brown yet as it was then, but it's headed that way. Only a small chance for some rain tomorrow morning.

A cold front is forecast to come through tomorrow night and bring temperatures back into the upper 80's and 90's. That will be a welcome change. In the meantime, I'm just grateful the air conditioner unit hasn't failed, though I'm not looking forward to next month's electric bill. Hope you're staying cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment