Search This Blog

Sunday, July 23, 2017

A Binary Baptism


Twenty-eight years ago today, July 23, 1989, my granddaughter, Alyssa, and her cousin, Melinda, were baptized in Wisconsin. Melinda, being held by mother, Sally, on the right, was born in February. Alyssa, the little one on the left, was born in April. They were the first two grandchildren for my daughter-in-law's parents. My son, Douglas in between sisters, Shelly and Sally.

Twenty-three years later, Alyssa is all grown up and expecting her own little one. At her baby shower her Grandmother Lee gifted her with the dress she had worn at her baptism.

Here are those two babies, Alyssa and Melinda, at the baby shower.

Me meeting baby Lily for the first time when she was 10 days old with Alyssa looking on.

Lily at about the same age Alyssa was in the baptism photo.

I treasure old photos and as much as I like the one of the new mothers and their baby girls in the first photo, I think my favorite part of the picture is .....

..... the way my son is so adoringly gazing at his wife.

I don't remember the words spoken at the Baptisms that day, but had I been choosing I might have included this one:

"May the strength of the wind and the light of the sun,
The softness of the rain and the mystery of the moon
Reach you and fill you.
May beauty delight you and happiness uplift you,
May wonder fulfill you and love surround you.
May your step be steady and your arm be strong,
May your heart be peaceful and your word be true.
May you seek to learn, may you learn to live,
May you live to love, and may you love, always."
                 (Irish Blessing)

(For my granddaughter Alyssa and great-granddaughter Lily)

No comments:

Post a Comment