Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Walk A Mile In My Shoes

 "Walk a mile in my shoes, just walk a mile in my shoes. And before you abuse, criticize and accuse, just walk a mile in my shoes." It is not surprising that this was my wake up tune as I went to sleep thinking about getting up and walking early this morning. What did surprise me was that it was an Elvis song.

It reminded me of the "Don't judge another until you have walked a mile in his moccasins" quote attributed to Native Americans. Actually both quotes came from the same poem "Judge Softly" by Mary T. Lathrop. (1838-1895) I do remember hearing it both as 'shoes' and 'moccasins' from my mother when I was young. Her reason was to teach me not to judge others if I didn't understand their circumstances.

But back to that mental plant about walking. I noticed feeling slightly dizzy while grocery shopping yesterday. Not the more acute morning dizziness I sometimes have, more like an awareness of feeling a little 'off'. It occurred to me that because I am less active now, spending most of my time in the house, it could be a problem of spatial perception. If so, what could/would I do about it? 

I decided I need to get out more, expand my awareness of things going on around me. But I don't like being outside when it is cold. I thought, "If we lived near a mall, I could walk there." Well, what is our closest thing to a mall? Walmart. Other people go to Walmart for their morning walk. So could I.

There were a few items I forgot to get yesterday, so it was a win-win - walk and shop. Undoubtedly I will still use the treadmill on bitter cold days, but I do like the idea of interchanging the two - broaden my horizons so to speak. Ha!

Now, if I can just get over the feeling of being conspicuous. 

No comments:

Post a Comment