Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 4, 2023

It's A Lovely Day Today

I don't mean the weather because it is still cloudy, cold, gray, damp - just as it has been all year - all first few days of it.

No, 'It's A Lovely Day Today' was the song in my head this morning. I thought it was older than it is, written by Irving Berlin for the musical 'Call Me Madam' in 1950. The first version I heard was most likely recorded in 1951 by Doris Day. But the tune in my head is, I think, the one by Ella Fitzgerald.

It's a lovely day todaySo whatever you've got to doYou've got a lovely day to do it in, that's true
And I hope whatever you've got to doIs something that can be done by twoFor I'd really like to stay
It's a lovely day todayAnd whatever you've got to doI'd be so happy to be doing it with you
As always, I am grateful to be sharing the days, cloudy or bright, with my partner of so many years.
Another little tune nudged its way in after lovely day had played for awhile. At first the words I was remembering were "I love the valleys, I love the rolling hills...".  And I remembered singing it in rounds. But where? When? Did I learn it in grade school? I remember singing "Row Your Boat" in rounds at Jasper #2, so maybe that is when/where I learned "I Love The Mountains" which I was able to find by Googling "kids songs sung in rounds".

I love the mountains.
I love the rolling hills.
I love the flowers.
I love the daffodils.
I love the fireside.
When the lights are low…

Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.
Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.

I love the mountains.
I love the rolling hills.
I love the flowers.
I love the daffodils.
I love the fireside.
When the lights are low…

Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.
Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.
Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.
Boom dee ah da. Boom dee ah da.

Do schools still teach singing in rounds? I suppose they do. I'll have to ask great-grandson Greyson. His favorite school subject is music.
Boom dee ah da, boom dee ah da.....
 



No comments:

Post a Comment