Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 10, 2023

Time Passages

Waking up with a song already playing in my head feels like a gift to me. I always wonder why this song? Why today? But regardless of the music, it often sparks a memory and that is the gift - remembering.

I grew up more attuned to the music from the 30's and 40's than current hits. That is until I discovered Rock and Roll and the radio stations that played the top forty hits. I was still listening to my favorite music from the 50's and 60's when my children became old enough to play their favorite songs. At first I thought most of the tunes were just so much noise, but after awhile I began appreciating some of their music, too. So I added tunes from the 70's and 80's to my favorites list. (I'm pretty lost after the 90's though.)

This morning's wake up song was Time Passages. I had to Google the artist because I did not remember who it was by.  It was not only sung by Al Stewart, it was sung and written by him. (And Peter White.) 

Alastair Stewart is a "Scottish singer/songwriter and folk-rock musician who rose to prominence as part of the British folk revival in the 1960's and 1970's. He developed a unique style of combining folk-rock songs with delicately woven tales of characters and events from history." (Per the internet.)


Time Passages first and last stanza lyrics:

It was late in December, the sky turned to snowAll round the day was going down slowNight like a river beginning to flowI felt the beat of my mind goDrifting into time passagesYears go falling in the fading lightTime passagesBuy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

Well the picture is changingNow you're part of a crowdThey're laughing at somethingAnd the music's loudA girl comes towards youYou once used to knowYou reach out your handBut you're all alone, in theseTime passagesI know you're in there, you're just out of sightTime passagesBuy me a ticket on the last train home tonight

The song was released in 1978, so it would have been when my eldest was in highschool. The album cover pictured seems halfway familiar, so maybe that is one he had. The cover title is Year of the Cat which is another Al Stewart song I remember and liked.

These are the first and last stanzas of Year of the Cat:

On a morning from a Bogart movieIn a country where they turn back timeYou go strolling through the crowd like Peter LorreContemplating a crimeShe comes out of the sun in a silk dress runningLike a watercolor in the rainDon't bother asking for explanationsShe'll just tell you that she cameIn the year of the cat

Well morning comes and you're still with herAnd the bus and the tourists are goneAnd you've thrown away your choice you've lost your ticketSo you have to stay onBut the drum-beat strains of the night remainIn the rhythm of the newborn dayYou know sometime you're bound to leave herBut for now you're going to stayIn the year of the cat

Just as reading my "Tonight's Song" selections in my old diaries brings back memories, so does remembering some of the favorite songs of my children and where I was with them at that time in their lives.


No comments:

Post a Comment