Search This Blog

Monday, January 23, 2023

Cause I'm A Woman

"Cause I'm a woman...

I can bring home the bacon; fry it up in a pan and never let you forget you're a man."

Oh, how that Enjoli perfume commercial from 1979 spoke to me. I was a "working woman", single mom, living on an acreage, growing a big garden, doing my own car maintenance, raising pigs, etc., etc., etc. Maybe I couldn't have it all, but I sure to heck was going to try. 

The commercial, of course, was based on the Peggy Lee hit from 1963, "I'm A Woman'. She sang it with her signature sultry style. It was a favorite of mine along with her 'Fever' and 'Is That All There Is'. 

It's easy to understand where this post idea came from if you learned, as I did, that Hy-Vee was having a one day sale of Hormel Black Label bacon for $1.99!! I hadn't planned to go to the store until tomorrow, but to save five dollars on a pound* of bacon, it was a no brainer.

I can bring home the bacon, but no longer fry it in a skillet, my son-in-law taught me to bake it in the oven. I do a whole package, place it on paper towels, on top of paper plates, then slide them all into a zip lock bag. Into the freezer they go. When I want bacon, I take a slice or more out, put it in the microwave for twenty seconds and it's ready to eat. My own pre-cooked, ready to eat bacon for breakfast or BLT's. 

'Cause I'm a woman, W-O-M-A-N .....  (those lyrics will be stuck in my head all day).

(* Of course those packages of bacon aren't a pound anymore, only 12 ozs.) 😣

   

No comments:

Post a Comment