Search This Blog

Monday, January 2, 2023

The Memory of the Dance

My earliest memories of dancing are of solo dancing/prancing around the yard pretending to dance. I have a vague memory of our country school attendees going to another country school and trying to learn to square dance.

Then there were the dance lessons at the Fairview neighborhood hall where an instructor was hired to teach round, square and folk dances. I remember watching Mom trying to teach my older brother how to dance when he was in highschool, but I don't recall her doing the same with my sister and me.

We had dances at The Rec after the highschool football and basketball games. I don't think I was ever asked to dance by a boy, though I did ask one or two of them to dance with me at the Sadie Hawkins Day dances. Mostly it was partnering with my girl friends to go out on the floor during fast dances. The only line dance I learned was The Stroll.

But I did love to dance! My first serious boyfriend did too. He preferred rock and roll, but also liked country. There were some dance halls in nearby towns where we went to dance. Through the years there were different partners and many memorable dances. I was never an accomplished dancer, but I could dance well enough to enjoy it. Whenever I got the chance, I danced.

What brought this subject to mind was the wisp of a song going through my mind this morning. I couldn't grasp enough of the lyrics to identify it - only "looking back on the memories". I couldn't even get enough of the tune to know if it was an old or new song, a country or mainstream tune. Finally I searched around enough to get it - The Dance by Garth Brooks, written by Tony Arata. 

It is a very poignant song of love and loss, but also one of gratitude for not missing the chance to dance. It could be a simile for one's life.

The Dance

Looking backOn the memory ofThe dance we shared'Neath the stars above
For a momentAll the world was rightBut how could I have knownThat you'd ever say goodbye
And now I'm glad I didn't knowThe way it all would endThe way it all would goOur lives are better left to chanceI could have missed the painBut I'd have had to miss the dance
Holding youI held everythingFor a momentWasn't I the king?
If I'd only knownHow the king would fallHey, who's to sayYou know I might have changed it all
And now I'm glad I didn't knowThe way it all would endThe way it all would goOur lives are better left to chanceI could have missed the painBut I'd have had to miss the dance
It's my life, it's better left to chanceI could have missed the painBut I'd have had to miss the dance


 

No comments:

Post a Comment