Search This Blog

Sunday, January 15, 2023

Realizing Life While Living It

 "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?" is a quote by Thornton Wilder in his play 'Our Town'. It was the play chosen for our Junior Class Play.

My older brother, Ronald, had been a member of Thespians while in highschool. He was in his class play, 'The Night of January Sixteenth' which may have contributed to my wanting to try out for a part in 'Our Town'.  I wanted to play Emily which was the leading female role so I learned some of her lines for my audition.

I did not get that part. In fact I didn't get any of the acting parts. I was, drum roll, a prompter. I sat offstage and whispered cues to anyone who forgot their lines. I had memorized many of the character's lines and all of Emily's.

One night the person playing Emily wasn't able to attend play practice. Mr. Lenz asked me to fill in for her. Afterwards he told me I did a very good job and that if something happened to the other girl and she wasn't able to go on, I would be her replacement. Did I wish her ill luck? I don't remember. She was there for all the performances. (Photo is my junior year class photo.)



What has brought this memory to mind is a FB post about my great-granddaughter, Lily, from her dad yesterday: "Sitting for auditions for Swan Lake this morning. As we work in filling out the application sheet I ask Bug (Lily's nickname) what part she would prefer. "What's the leading role?" I respond with "Princess Odette." "That's the one I want dad." Now she's going through the script but only cares about Odette lines." I smiled and sent: "That's our Lily Bug!" with smile and heart emojis.

I don't know yet if she got the part, or any part, but I'm betting on her. She has so many talents, she's smart, determined, logical, thoughtful, artistic and brave. She is a delight to be around.



First day of 5th grade.





Making some artwork for me the last time she was here.







A young woman after my own heart - working on her poetry.





And one of my favorite photos from when she was five going on 25 - a rock star in the making.

I hope you get the part Lily, but if you don't, I know you'll keep trying until you do get a lead role.

I just wish I could be there to watch you realize you're dreams while you are living them.



No comments:

Post a Comment