Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Those Memorial Day Photos Part II

Oakland is the correct name of what most refer to as Quincy Cemetery. It about a mile southwest of the former town of Quincy and where many of my Lynam relatives are buried, including Dad's parents and two sisters. But not Dad - he wanted to be buried at Prairie Rose, two miles from where he lived most of his adult life.

There are two parts of Oakland Cemetery - the one on the North side of the road and the other on the South side. This Civil War Monument is in the North section of the cemetery. On it are the names of area residents who fought for the Union, including those who "Lie in Southern Graves" and veterans who "Died since the War". The monument was restored and rededicated last year.

This marker in the South section of Oakland Cemetery is the one that fascinated me the most when I was young. After we decorated Grandpa Lynam's grave, we would wander through the cemetery. Mom had to explain to me that there were people buried inside this tomb above ground, not underground like everyone else. It was a foreign concept to me, one I had trouble wrapping my head around.
Inscriptions on the tomb are: In Memory of Robert E. Moore 1878 - 1940, Prominent North Platt (sic) Valley Nebraska Farmer and Stockman, Loved and respected by all who knew him". Also, "His Wife, Elmie E. Moore 1877 - 1958. In that last sunset when the stars shall fall, may we arise awakened by thy call, with thee Oh Lord forever to abide in that blest day which has no eventide."
A Google search returns no other information about the Moore's, so unless I find some other clues, I will have to be content with my troubled childhood memories of them in their tomb.

At the Mt. Etna Brethren Cemetery, this Morton stone is easily the most interesting and prominent. The small marker next to it reads: "Mother, Rosannah - Wife of Silas Morton, May 7, 1836 - Oct. 27, 1911". Of Silas - Husband of Rosannah Knoyer - there is no mention. He is not listed as buried here.

But I did find them both, with daughter, Martha, in Montgomery County, Iowa. Along the West Nodaway River on the eastern side of the county, north of Villisca, Silas built a mill, Morton's Mill, which became known as the town of Morton Mills.
Martha married Albert P. Simpson, orginally from Mt. Etna, later an auctioneer in Fresno,California.
Silas was the great-grandson of John Morton, one of the original signers of the Declaration of Independence.

Originally, my plan was just to post some black and white photos of grave markers I found interesting during this year's trek to the cemeteries. But my history loving heart wouldn't be content until I had found out what I could about the people associated with those stones.




Everyone has a story, even those gone long before us.





No comments:

Post a Comment