Search This Blog

Friday, May 11, 2018

Fifty Years Ago Today

This post is for my two youngest, Kari and Preston, and Preston's children and grandchildren.

May 11, 1968 was a Saturday, a little nicer day than today. Your Uncle Chuck hadn't been ordained yet, but he was serving at a church South of Pleasantville.

It was a country church, much like the one I grew up attending. Ironically with the same name, Fairview.

It was very much a Fleming family affair with your Uncle Chuck officiating, Uncle Dick the best man and Aunt Pat my maid of honor.


"You may now kiss the bride."
I don't remember who made our cake, possibly my Aunt Lois. If so, that means my Dad and Mom brought it with them. How did they keep it intact all that way?

Another picture, this one with your Aunt Nancy, who played the organ (or piano) for us. It was another year or two before Chuck and Nancy wed.

Shoving cake in one another's faces after the cake cutting was just becoming "the thing to do". I was (still am) very much opposed to such antics. I told Denny how I felt about it and we agreed to be polite in feeding one another the first bite.

Leaving church after the ceremony for a one night honeymoon in Winterset.

The next day we went to Mom and Dad's to pick up Doug. Denny went back to Des Moines and Doug and I went back to Cedar Rapids. There was school and work on Monday. Then we had to find an apartment somewhere in West Des Moines or Des Moines. And I had to find a job.

Forty-nine years ago today was 1) our first anniversary, 2) Mother's Day and 3) the due date for the birth of our first child. Kari was stubborn. She didn't show up for another 20 days. The picture is her official first birthday photo.

I didn't post this as reminder for someone's significant birthday coming up. I just thought you two and your family members might like seeing some photos of your parents from fifty years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment