Search This Blog

Monday, May 7, 2018

Redbuds & Treasure

I was out early taking pictures this morning. Later, when I imported them to the computer, I thought I saw some purple in with the white plum blossoms.

I went back out and zoomed the camera in for a closer look. It looked like a Redbud tree, but I had never noticed one there before. I told Bud I was going to walk down there to see and he said he would go along.

Joy, oh joy! It is a small Redbud in the fence row. Grandma Delphia loved her Redbud trees, which is probably why I love them, too. There was one along the lane at the acreage where the kids and I lived Northwest of Des Moines. I've tried planting them, without any luck, in a couple other places we've lived.

I was walking back along the fence row because I thought I saw some Honeysuckle when I spotted this base of a bird bath. (People dump stuff over the fence.) I figured it was broken or at least cracked but when Bud offered to crawl through the fence and check, I was very glad he came with me. Happier still when he carried it back for me because it wasn't broken or cracked.

If I can find a shallow planter to set on top the base, I'm thinking of planting it with succulents. After seeing friend Kristina's photo of hers, I knew it was something I wanted to do too, although I know mine won't be as impressive as her's.

Last evening we were sitting on the deck when this little pretty landed on the feeder. Bud asked me what it was and I didn't know. When I searched through the "birds in Iowa" lists, the closest photo I found is of a Song Thrush. I'm not sure, because it could be a female House Finch. But I want it to be a Song Thrush so I can add it to my birder's life list.

"Hark how blithe the throstle sings
And he is no mean preacher
Come forth into the light of things
Let nature be your teacher"
(From The Tables Turned by William Wordsworth)

No comments:

Post a Comment