Search This Blog

Monday, May 21, 2018

Charge It To The Dust

It's a cool day and I actually felt like doing something. I've been promising myself to do some cleaning, straightening and throwing away in the garage, so that's where I spent a productive hour or so.

The pretty blue, single speed bike I bought nine years ago (and rode a half-dozen times) takes up a lot of room on "my" side of the garage. I've been thinking about selling it, so out it came. Then I rearranged the space where it had been, filled three bags of stuff to throw away and broke down a bunch of cardboard boxes to take to recycling.

When I swept out the garage. I thought about taking the dust up in a dustpan and putting it into the wastebasket which is when one of Mom's old sayings came to mind: "Charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it." Of course that saying didn't exactly fit the situation, but the forecast rain will settle the little bit of dust I swept into the street.

(Charge it to the dust and let the rain settle it, is an old saying used in friendly transactions where no payment is expected.) 

2 comments:

  1. I never heard that expression, but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - I'm surprised you had never heard this old saying. Glad you like it. One of the reasons I post my memories of parents and grandparents sayings is because they aren't used as much as they once were and I want my kids/grandkids to know about them.

      Delete