Search This Blog

Thursday, January 18, 2018

They Were Born On This Day

Today, January 18, is designated for two of my favorite things. It is Winnie the Pooh Day...
...because it is the birthdate (January 18, 1882) of...
(Source: Wikipedia)
Alan Alexander (A.A.) Milne, the author of the Winnie-the-Pooh and Christopher Robin stories.

(From a portrait by Thomas Pettigrew, 1843)
It is also the birthdate of Peter Mark Roget (January 18, 1779) which makes today also...
...Thesaurus Day. I imagine it was one of my high school English teachers who introduced me to the Thesaurus, most likely Mr. LaChapelle as he was the one who encouraged my writing. He is also the teacher from whom I learned the meaning of trite when he wrote it on one of my essays.

Roget's first Thesaurus, a book of words and their synonyms, was published in 1852. There have been many editions since, but the one I remember owning was a paperback edition like the one pictured.

Or, using Roget's help: "Existence is a voyage to be faced, not a complication to be unraveled."
Milne said it better, didn't he? Happy Pooh and Thesaurus Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment