Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 10, 2018

More Than One of 'Those' Days

The older I get, the harder it is for me to handle one of those days. Fortunately, they don't come too often, but when they do, I come a bit unglued. Kinda like the above meme - especially if there are two or three days in a row!

Where to start? I've known for some time that one of the bolts had broken off the stool in my bathroom. The stool was wobbly, but worked okay. Then a few days ago I noticed it had started leaking. Okay. Time to decided what to do. I imagined it was going to involve having a new toilet installed.

You know what would be nice? If the toilet is going to have to be changed out, maybe having some new tile put down before the new stool goes in would be nice.

Monday, before I could decide what I wanted to do, I discovered the rug in front of the bathroom sink was wet, but not from where the stool was leaking on the floor. Now what?  The inside of the cupboard was wet.  I took everything out, but still couldn't see where it was leaking. Time to call a plumber.

Bud asked if I wanted him to see if he could tell where the water was coming from and discovered it was leaking around the cold water connection. His diagnosis, it needed a new rubber gasket/washer. Something he could fix. So away he went to the hardware store.

To shorten the saga a bit, it took more than one trip, but by evening he had not only fixed the leaking sink, he had also repaired the tippy toilet. Hubby Dearest is a very handy man. An added bonus: The cupboard under the sink got cleaned out, reorganized, and with a bunch of stuff tossed, now has some unused space!

So, yesterday, with everything once again right in my world, after my usual morning routine on the computer, I decided it was time to upload some pictures from my camera to the computer. I couldn't get it to work. After several tries, I decided to reboot my computer, that usually solves the problem. But no. Then I couldn't get the computer to restart. It wouldn't allow me to sign on. I followed the 'fix' instructions, but nothing worked. I was convinced those 'Russians' I blogged about a few days ago had taken over my computer and probably my identity. I was sure my bank account had already been cleaned out and all my credit cards were being used.

Computer problems make me even crazier than plumbing problems. Bud to the rescue again. He restored the files to a previous date and all was well once more, EXCEPT, Google Chrome, which I use as my browser, would not open. I could still use Microsoft Edge, but I had to start over marking all my favorite pages, etc., as well as familiarizing myself with a new browser. Bummer.

A few days ago someone posted seeing swans out at Green Valley Lake. Bud suggested we drive out to see if we could spot them. They were supposed to be in the only open water, among all the Canada Geese. We didn't see any swans, so if they were there, they had already left.

However, we did see something way out on the ice in the middle of the lake. Bud asked, "Are those eagles?" Thanks to the zoom on my camera, we had our answer. We couldn't tell what they were feeding on, but I think it is a deer carcass.

Home again and time to try uploading my photos. Success. On the first try. So the computer was back to normal, just not my normal normal.

Last evening, without even asking Bud for help, I uninstalled Google Chrome from my computer and then reinstalled it. The good news is, that worked. I had my comfortable browser back. The better news - I did it myself. Me, the computer illiterate.
It felt so good to do it myself. Maybe when the next of those days comes I won't get quite so frustrated. (But don't bet on it.) I'm just hoping for a long spell of routine days.

No comments:

Post a Comment