Search This Blog

Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Inbound Missile; Seek Shelter

I can't even imagine what it must have been like in Hawaii Saturday morning when the false alert of an incoming ballistic missile went out. It had to be terrifying, especially since the island state has been practicing what to do the last few weeks since the threats from North Korea. I've seen the clips of people running for shelter and personal stories of how they thought they only had ten minutes left to live.

No matter how good your imagination is, it is impossible to know what that feels like unless you are/have been in such a scenario. Son, Douglas, has an aunt (my former sister-in-law) who lives in Hawaii. I don't know how she was affected, she hasn't posted anything about it on Facebook, but I've been thinking about her and her family.

I know what I would be doing in such a situation - the same thing so many were doing that morning - calling or texting their loved ones to say one last time, "I love you". I'm more concerned about our kids on the two coasts than the ones here in Iowa - Kari and Ken in Portland, OR because of the closer proximity to North Korea, and Mark and Juliet in New York City, because NYC is/has already been, a favored target.

It may not be an inbound missile with a nuclear warhead, it could be a car accident, a heart attack or old age, but sooner or later, I may not have the ten minutes to call, so know this all my loved ones, my last message would be, "I love you."

No comments:

Post a Comment