Search This Blog

Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Strange Invention

One of the books I read this week was a contemporary/historical romance novel in that it covered several generations. I liked the historical romance parts better than the present day romance, but what I liked best was what linked the story lines - photography. It gave me insight into what I like about taking pictures, as well as made me wish I had learned more about photography when I was younger - and taken it seriously.

There were many quotes about photography throughout the book. I have chosen some photographs to go with those quotes.

"What makes photography a strange invention is that its primary raw materials are light and time." (John Berger, English Art Critic)

"A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know." (Diane Arbus, American Photographer)

"In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality." (Alfred Stieglitz, American Photographer)

"Photography takes an instant out of time, altering life by holding it still." (Dorthea Lange, American Photographer)

"I suddenly understand that photography can fix eternity in a moment." (Henri Cartier-Bresson, French Photographer)

"Photography is the story I fail to put into words." (Dustin Sparks, American Photographer)

"I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to follow it." (Rosalia De Castro, Spanish Poet)

"Photograph: A picture painted by the sun without instruction in art." (Ambrose Bierce, American Author)

No comments:

Post a Comment