Search This Blog

Monday, January 1, 2018

Movie Weekend

I am much more a reader than a watcher. I prefer books to movies. But I do enjoy good movies once in awhile. Whenever the premium channels offer a free movie weekend, I see if there are any that sound good and then record them even though it might be a year or more before I feel like watching them.

And sometimes I know I can't watch a movie until I am in the right mood. Suffragette was such a movie. I knew it was going to be hard to watch because I know how deeply the subject matter has always affected me.
I watched the movie Saturday morning. It did not disappoint. I felt the feelings - anger, revulsion, fear, sympathy, sorrow - and thankfulness for the strong women before me. It is a movie I wish every young woman could see. I think there are far too many who don't appreciate what their grandmothers and great-grandmothers went through to give them the privileges they enjoy today. Some don't understand where their right to vote came from.

After a day and half of non-stop football, we were ready for another movie last night. This one I knew nothing about when I recorded it except that Benedict Cumberbatch was in it. I'll watch anything he is in.

The movie is about the fight to abolish slavery in Britain which occured years before it did in the United States and was accomplished without a Civil War. It was a very interesting movie to watch and to learn where the song, Amazing Grace, came from.
Besides Cumberbatch, another favorite actor of mine, Rufus Sewell, is featured in this movie. Also, because of her unusual name, I noted that Romola Garai, was in both these movies.

I still have several movies recorded to watch, but it might be another year before I'm in a movie watching mood. Or it might be next weekend. I can only hope one or two of them might be as good as these two were.

No comments:

Post a Comment