Search This Blog

Monday, January 29, 2018

Her Old Green Coat


I remember your old green coat. The green was darker than leaf, but lighter than hunter.
How many winters had you worn it? You were repairing the lining yet again. In some places there was little enough left to sew back together.
You were tired of trying to mend it and so done with that color. "Why don't you just buy a new coat, Mom?" I asked.



"Because you kids need new winter coats more than I do.", her reply.




Funny, I remember when she finally got a new coat, I recall how she saved the buttons off the old one. But even the way she saved every scrap of cloth for some form of re-use, I don't remember ever seeing anything of that green again.
I don't even remember what color her new winter coat was. But I sure remember that old green coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment