Search This Blog

Sunday, January 7, 2018

Before The Playoffs

When I posted about my movie weekend last Monday, I said it might be a year before I watched movies again - or maybe next weekend. It was the latter. I'm blaming it on the cold, hibernation inducing, weather, but before a weekend of playoff NFL games, two more movies were watched.

The first, on Friday night, was a Masterpiece production we recorded more than a year ago. It was great, as all Masterpiece productions are. Based on Jonathan Smith's book, The Churchill Secret: KBO*, it is the story of concealing from the world, the stroke Winston Churchill suffered in 1952. This was a great production, timely watched, as I hope to see Darkest Hour, the Churchill film currently playing in theaters. A bit of irony, Romola Garai was in this film, too, as she was in the two movies watched last weekend. (*KBO - Keep Buggering On - a Churchillism)

My second movie was Genius, the British-American biographical movie based on the 1978 National Book Award winner, Max Perkins: Editor of Genius by A. Scott Berg. I liked this movie so much. I was hoping one of my libraries had the book so I could read it. Unfortunately, neither does. The performances by Colin Firth, Jude Law and Nicole Kidman were wonderful, as was Laura Linney's who played Perkins' wife.

Two more football playoff games this afternoon and evening followed by the Golden Globes. And since we are not GG watchers, the weekend will end with one more movie, an Aurora Teagarden mystery, Last Scene Alive, on the Hallmark channel. No, it won't match up to the first two movies, but it will be cute, and I really did enjoy the Aurora Teagarden books by Charlaine Harris.

No comments:

Post a Comment