Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 3, 2018

Russia Concerns

As a child who grew up during the Cold War, I fell asleep many nights convinced that I would wake up the next morning and see Russian soldiers in our yard.
One of my clearest memories, when I was nine and a half years old, was listening to the radio and hearing of Stalin's death. The rest of my family was in the kitchen when I burst in gleefully announcing, "He's dead!" (March 5, 1953) To me that meant two things: the end of worrying about the Russians and the end of the Korean War. (Which did end on July 27 of that year.)
However, there would still be worries about the Russians - for instance the Cuban Missle Crisis in 1962 - and the preceding nuclear arms build up and threats. I remember my high school English teacher telling our Junior class that he firmly believed his two little daughers would not live to twenty years of age because there would be a nuclear war between Russia and the United States.
You might think that the current name calling and bragging about whose nuclear button is bigger between our country and North Korea is the impetus for this blog. It is not.
My current Russia concerns lie much closer to home. As close as this blog. I've never been concerned about how many readers I have. I didn't start my blog for fame or fortune, only as a means of leaving some of my memories, thoughts, and family history for my decendents. I know I have less than 20 regular readers. I rarely check my blog's 'Stats'. But for some reason, maybe because it is a new year, Monday night I did look at my stats. And one in particular caused me concern:

The map of 'Pageviews by Countries'. I have more readers, or at least page views, by people in Russia than in the United States! What?!

With all the news about Russian meddling in our elections, etc., I'm wondering if I need to be concerned about Russian meddling in my life/blog?

I have considered making my blog Private before. Now, I'm really considering doing it. So, if you someday look for my blog and can't see it, you will know that I have made it private. In case I do, thanks for being one of my readers.

1 comment:

  1. Probably Russian hackers trying to get spam into your comments and the like. As long as blogspot is keeping their security updated it should be fine.

    BTW, I was convinced that I would never reach 30 because of the Cold War, so when I passed that age I didn't have any plans.

    ReplyDelete