Search This Blog

Friday, August 31, 2018

August Book List

Ten books read this month - six of them from the Lucas Davenport series.

One Sunday Morning by Amy Ephron is set during Prohibition. In sparse chapters, tersely penned, it relates how the strictures of polite society come into conflict with the liberated spirit of the Jazz Age.

Never Tell A Lie by Hallie Ephron is a psychological suspense tale of a yard sale gone terribly wrong. Reminded me some of Gone Girl. (Amy and Hallie Ephron are sisters.)

No Defense by Kate Wilhelm is the 5th in her Barbara Holloway series. I enjoy these mysteries set in the Eugene/Bend areas of Oregon. Wilhelm writes well and crafts good stories.

Broken Prey and Invisible Prey are #'s 16 and 17 in John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series.

All Things Bright and Beautiful is one of James Herriot's memoirs of his time as a country veterinarian in Yorkshire, England. These books were hugely popular 30 years ago and I resisted reading them at that time just because "everyone" else was reading them.
One of my Facebook friends recently reviewed them so convincingly I decided it was time I read at least one to see what I thought. I liked it immensely. It is beautifully written and reminded me so much of my own experiences growing up on a farm and around animals.

Phantom Prey, Wicked Prey, Storm Prey and Buried Prey are #'s 18, 19, 20 and 21 of John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series.

1 comment:

  1. I’ve read all the Sanford books. Virgil “f***ing” Flowers is my favorite. I like James Harriet, too.

    ReplyDelete