Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

August's Auspicious Arrival

Ahh, August - month of State Fair, Back-to-School, Dog Days, the Perseids Meteor Showers, Birthdays of two sons, Preston and Douglas, two granddaughters, Kathryn and Katrina, a step-great-grandson, Michael, a grand-niece, Jesse, the month of the Full Sturgeon Moon.

Rabbit, rabbit. The month began as all months do, if we remember in time, by saying rabbit, rabbit as the first spoken words. It is an old English superstition that is supposed to bring good luck for the month. One of the resident rabbits obliged me by sitting still for a picture when I went out to feel the morning.

The first of the month and the first blossom on the Cardinal Climber. This is the one at the front of the house. Do you remember back on May 6 when I said, "If you're wondering about that ring leaning against the garage, think Cardinal Climber and stay tuned for what I do with it."

Instead of letting it climb up to the roof like I did last year, Bud mounted the ring so I could train the Cardinal Climber around it. When I saw the picture he took of Kari and me last week, I thought, "Too bad it wasn't heart shaped."

Also showing color in some buds is one of the Cardinal Climbers on the back side of the deck.

The first sunflower bloomed Saturday morning. Already several more have opened and there are plenty of buds. This is the fourth year for these volunteer sunflowers, started, I assume from sunflower seed I had out for the birds. But this is the first time they have gotten so tall; way over my head. I can't even reach the tops while standing on the deck.

So many of my hen and chicks died over the winter. I am super happy to see all the new chicks with the two hens in this planter. They are the last of the ones I got from Bud's Mom and I want to keep them growing in remembrance of her.

Now here is the best and biggest surprise. When we moved here ten years ago, this beautiful Rose of Sharon was growing.

Four years ago it started dying and the following year it was done for. Two years ago several new plants came up. I let the biggest three grow, hoping one of them would survive and possibly bloom.

This morning, voila! The first blossom. There are a number of buds. It looks like we have a Rose of Sharon back and almost in the same spot.

As I stepped back onto the patio after taking the picture, I kicked something, some kind of seed pod. At first I couldn't think what it was, then I realized it is from the Rose of Sharon. There is one seed left in it. It has to have been laying there since the last time the original plant bloomed.

As auspiciously as this month has begun, I think I should plant that last seed, see if I can get another Rose of Sharon growing and have one at another corner of the house.


"Fairest of the months!
Ripe summer's queen
The hey-day of the year
With robes that gleam with sunny sheen
Sweet August doth appear."
    (R. Combe Miller)

No comments:

Post a Comment