Search This Blog

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Sans Provenance

I have tried to photograph and share some of the things I've collected over the years so when the time comes my family will have the stories about them and know where they came from. This is one I don't believe I've shown before.

This blue and gray pitcher is seven inches tall, six inches from the handle to the lip and five inches across bowl part just below the handle. There is a raised flower motif on both sides along with a descending scallop design. There are some imperfections in the glaze and one chip in the rim.

There are no marks to indicate the pottery company this was made by. I've tried to find one similar online and the closest I've seen is one described as "Antique Blue Salt Glazed 'Wild Rose' Stoneware Pitcher". It is more blue-gray, slightly larger and estimated to have been made in the U.S. between 1850 and 1899.

I looked at so many pottery sites hoping to find one nearly like this, that it made me want to start collecting pottery again. I do love pottery.
Not only was I unable to learn anything online, I also have no family history about the pitcher other than how I came to have it.

It belonged to my mother-in-law, Lottie. It sat on a shelf above her dryer on the back porch. I could tell it was old just by looking at it, but I never asked her about it. Several years before her death in 2011, Lottie asked me if I would like to have the blue pitcher. She knew I liked antiques. "Yes, I would like to have it, but are you sure you want to give it to me?" To her, it was just and old pitcher, to me, it was a treasure. And the way I remember it, I did ask her if it was something that came from her parents or grandparents, but she didn't remember how she came by it.

If I learn anymore about its provenance, I will update this post with the information.
In the meantime, I will continue to treasure this blue pitcher and remember my mother-in-law and her thoughtfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment