Search This Blog

Saturday, August 25, 2018

Adding To Grandma Bessie's Post Card Collection A Century+ Later

My blog post of September 26, 2010, "Postcards From the Past" was about old postcards from/to both my maternal and paternal grandmothers but the majority of the ones pictured were from Grandma (Bessie) Lynam's collection, many housed in the album pictured above.

In the same way that album found its way to me via one of Grandma's nephews (her sister Babe's [Agnes'] son, Ronald, to my brother Ronald to me), the two I received yesterday came from her niece, Elvera (Grandma's brother Leslie's daughter), through Elvera's daughter, Barb. (Are you confused yet? It would have been more confusing if my younger brother, Leslie, was involved.)

This is the first of the two cards Barb thoughtfully sent me. She said she found them among her mother's things and thought I would like to have them. She also wrote: "We all adored your Grandma Bessie." And I know they did, just as I loved her grandparents, Uncle Bus (Leslie) and Aunt Ethel.

The post card was "From Aggie" Sept. 1909; a fanciful and somewhat fragile card, given, rather than entrusted to the mail?

The second card is very pretty - a silver shoe filled with embossed roses and leaves. I wonder if the blank banner below the shoe was meant to hold a penned message?

I also wonder about this on the right edge: "Copyright J.P.N.Y. 1911".

Because on the back Grandma Bessie has noted: "Dec. 1909, Grandma Aggie". A card received in 1909 wouldn't have a 1911 copyright, would it?
Upon closer inspection it appears the back was a separate piece of paper glued to the card to make it a postcard. Did Grandma Aggie do that? Or did Grandma Bessie write down the wrong year she received it?

And why do I have to turn everything into a mystery instead of just enjoying the addition of these two cards back into Grandma's Post Card collection?

(Thank you, so much, Barb! 💖)

No comments:

Post a Comment