Search This Blog

Friday, August 24, 2018

Ewer and Basin

When I posted 20 days ago about the blue pitcher my mother-in-law gave me, I commented that I didn't know its provenance.
This morning, in my Facebook Memories, this photo came up.

I thought I had already written about Grandma Lynam's ewer and basin, or as we called it, pitcher and bowl, but don't find it in my posts.

Back in the days before running water, a ewer and basin would have been found in every hotel room as well as in the guest room of private houses, which is where I imagine Grandma had hers.
For everyday use in the farm houses my grandmother knew, a bucket of water and tin wash pan was far more common.

I don't know how long my mom and dad had grandma's pitcher and bowl, but when I found it in their basement somewhere around 1980, Mom asked me if I wanted it. She didn't have to ask me twice! Reproduction ewers and basins had become popular decorating pieces, so I was already wanting a set, but to have the real deal and have it be something that had belonged to my grandparents made it extra special.

So, for the provenance, kiddies, I got it from my Mom; she said it was Grandpa and Grandma Lynam's. Beyond that, I don't know. I think of it as something they bought or received at the time of their marriage (1914). Could it have been something their parents or grandparents once owned? Possibly.

Also, just so you know - several years ago, something fell off a shelf and broke a piece out of the edge of the bowl. I kept the piece thinking it might be repairable, but before I tried, I found a bowl at a garage sale about four years ago. It comes very close to matching the pitcher.

An image search on Google will show you the many different styles and colors of these utilitarian, and pretty, pieces. I found one similar to Grandma's for sale for $299. However, it was marked on the bottom with the pottery company's stamp, while the set I have has no company mark. In other words, it probably isn't valuable except for its sentimentality.

Oh, and it does make a lovely vase for a large bouquet.

No comments:

Post a Comment