Search This Blog

Thursday, March 8, 2018

Today's 'Moment of Nature'

....is brought to you by...... Me.

It was barely light enough to see this morning when I caught the fox trotting by. It moves so fast I barely had time to get the camera lens open.

I've been lucky to see so many different types of wildlife since moving here. When I see something new, it makes me wonder what I have missed when I'm not watching.*

This morning a flash of white alerted me to another 'first'.

Then it disappeared.

I was ready when it popped back up. With the aid of Google and The Cornell Lab of Ornithology, I believe these are Bufflehead Ducks. Well, I knew they were ducks, just not what kind.
I don't remember ever hearing of Buffleheads. The white and black one is the male, the female is the brown one with the white patch on her head.
In the middle photo, he was diving underwater, looking for something to eat - not hiding from my camera. ☺

I love watching the birds and mammels. It is always such a treat when I seen something new. The moment of nature can be quite fleeting; it is a treasure to get a photograph.

* One of the rarest sightings for me is the Eastern Bluebird. We had a few around the 'little house' back in the 80's, but I never saw any around Mom's farm in the years we lived there. A few days ago I was *pretty sure* I saw one fly across close to the deck. I'm on watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment