Search This Blog

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Hippity, Hoppity, Peter Rabbit


In time for Easter, I just unearthed this cute set of Beatrix Potter Doorknob Books, purchased a couple of years ago at a garage sale. The box has a carry handle on top in addition to the hole to slip over a doorknob. The set is in brand new condition and you can tell the books had never even been opened.

The remains of a price sticker in the upper right corner looks like the set may have come from a Dollar Store, which is what I paid at the garage sale. I don't know what the price was when it was introduced by Paradise Press in 1999, but the little books are individually marked $4.95.

The Tale of Peter Rabbit in Mr. McGregor's garden seems like one I've known since I was a child. I even remember Beatrix Potter's lovely illustrations. Don't I?

Probably not. Even if I did have a copy of this 1942 Peter Rabbit book, the illustrations were by 'Masha'.

Hmm, this 1955 version looks familiar. It must be the one I read to my little brother, Leslie and possibly to my eldest, Douglas.

This one looks very familiar, too. The 1970's Little Golden version I read to Kari and Preston?

I may not remember for certain which Tale of Peter Rabbit book was read to me and which ones I read to others, but I do remember that my boss and his wife gave Preston a Wedgewood child's set like this one when he was born. I was so impressed. It was probably the most expensive baby gift any of my kids received.

Ayden, Greyson and Jack were the youngest of the great-grands when I bought the Beatrix Potter Doorknob Books. Did I intend giving them to one of those boys? Or keep them here to be read when they visited? I don't remember. But I put them aside and forgot I had them.

Since then, I've had a couple more great-grands. Maybe the set should go to Brynley. She already has a reading corner in her room.
I know, they could be passed around --
The Cousinhood of the Traveling Rabbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment