Search This Blog

Sunday, March 25, 2018

The Color of Sunshine


Our weather has been so gloomy that yesterday Hubby Dearest decided to brighten up our home. He brought me a big bouquet of ten yellow roses and four pink carnations which I split among three vases to perk up some rooms.

Of course the pink carnations reminded me of Marty Robbins 1957 hit song, 'A White Sport Coat (and a Pink Carnation)' - because, yes, I'm that old.

While the yellow roses brought to mind Dolly Parton's song --

Yellow Roses

Hello you said the day we met
Handing me a yellow rose
You asked me out
And to your surprise
And to mine, I said I'd go
I thought it so romantic
And I found you sweet and bold
Though we'd only met
I still said yes
To a single yellow rose
And for years to come
You were the one
To sleep with me at night
To laugh and talk 
And share my thoughts
And hold me when I'd cry
And on every occasion
And for no good reason to
A big bouquet or a single yellow rose
Was sent from you

Bud knows yellow is my favorite color of roses and they certainly do add a touch of spring on an otherwise wintry day.

3 comments:

  1. When we lived in Guss, Mother bought an old wind-up victrola from the auction caused by the closing of a one-room school someplace. She bought a couple of record albums. Back then a record album really WAS an album, with six folders you turned like pages, for six 78 RPM records. One was Little Jimmy Dickens, the other was George Morgan, in which he sang Roomful of Roses, Candy Kisses, and others. When I think of roses, I think of "Roomful of Roses" which the Internet tells me was a hit in 1949. I would have been five years old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna - My folks had some of those 78RPM albums, too. I remember the songs you mentioned, also Paper Roses which I remember my Mom singing.

      Delete
    2. They were evidently timeless songs, because country artists are still singing them.

      Delete