Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Better To Give Than Receive

How old was I when I began to understand what my mother tried to tell me - that it was better to give than receive? Oh, I understood the concept, but being a child at Christmas, it was all about what presents I would get. It was probably around the time this photo was taken in 1954 because I definitely remember being more concerned about my little brother liking the gift I gave him than worrying about what I received. (I was originally in this photo, but for some reason, cut myself out which is what the white lower left corner is about.)

So, I was around eleven when the joy of giving began impacting my life. It really was fun to give and receive the good feelings that came from giving - from thinking of others first and finding just the right gift for them.

Did I know Mom's saying came from the Bible? (Acts 20:35 "It is more blessed to give than receive.") Probably not.

Which brings me to what I'm pondering today: How does our President and most of Congress, the very ones who consider themselves in the moral majority, justify the tax bill they're getting ready to pass? Why is it more important to them to further enrich themselves than it is to help the poor and middle class who really need help?

I'm flummoxed. I guess they never took to heart what they (should have) learned as children.

No comments:

Post a Comment