Search This Blog

Monday, January 25, 2016

Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day?

It's National Bubble Wrap Appreciation Day. Who knew? I always thought it was Ruth Voneta Ridnour's birth day.


I never need a reason to think about my Mom, hardly a day goes by that I don't think about her. But this morning when I woke up and thought, "It would be her 97th birthday", I calculated that she would have been conceived in April. What better month to begin life?




"And Spring arose on the garden fair,
Like the Spirit of Love felt everywhere;
And each flower and herb on Earth's dark breast
Rose from the dreams of  its wintry rest."
(Percy Bysshe Shelley)

I'm not sure why we need an appreciation day for bubble wrap which was invented about the same time as this photo of our family was taken.
I do know it was several years later before Mom would have had any bubble wrap. It would be from a package someone sent to her or left over in all the detritus of Christmas wrappings.
It would be something she would save to reuse. That was her nature - never throw anything away.

All the memories I have of Mom, whether of her birthday or all the other 364 days a year, are good ones. Even the memories of being disciplined I now think of fondly. They are precious.

And what do we do with that which is precious to us?
We wrap it in bubble wrap!

No comments:

Post a Comment