Search This Blog

Monday, August 21, 2023

Yesterday, When I Was Young

Roy Clark was always one of my favorite singers and his 1969 hit of Yesterday, When I Was Young was my favorite version of that tune. Written by Herbert Kretzmer and Charles Aznavour, all I have to do is think the title and I hear Clark's spoken and sung words of love and regret. 

It seems the love I've known has always beenThe most destructive kindI guess that's why now I feel so oldBefore my time


 Yesterday when I was young
The taste of life was sweet as rain upon my tongueI teased at life as if it were a foolish gameThe way the evening breeze may tease a candle flameThe thousand dreams I dreamed, the splendid things I plannedI always built to last on weak and shifting sandI lived by night and shunned the naked light of the dayAnd only now I see how the years ran away




Yesterday when I was youngSo many happy songs were waiting to be sungSo many wild pleasures lay in store for meAnd so much pain my dazzled eyes refused to seeI ran so fast that time and youth at last ran outI never stopped to think what life was all aboutAnd every conversation I can now recallConcerned itself with me and nothing else at all








Yesterday the moon was blueAnd every crazy day brought something new to doI used my magic age as if it were a wandAnd never saw the waste and the emptiness beyondThe game of love I played with arrogance and prideAnd every flame I lit too quickly, quickly diedThe friends I made all seemed somehow to drift awayAnd only I am left on stage to end the play








There are so many songs in me that won't be sungI feel the bitter taste of tears upon my tongueThe time has come for me to payFor yesterday when I was young




No comments:

Post a Comment