Search This Blog

Thursday, August 17, 2023

The Slamming of the Old Screen Door

 


I miss the thwack sound our old screen door made as it slammed back after we hurriedly pushed our way through it on our rush to get outside to play. It signaled the escape to freedom and more adventuring around the farm.

It was the screen door between the kitchen and the back porch which looked much like this. I remember the times we were in too much of a hurry and our hands went through the screen instead of on the frame. Eventually new screen wire was purchased and the gaping hole was mended.


Not the screen door to the outside which was the one seen here in a photo of Mom feeding her cats.

That one was sturdier and had a window in a frame that could be exchanged for a screen during the warm months.

It did not close in the same satisfying thwack as the first door and it opened in instead of out which slowed down our rush to get out - awkwardly needing a push then a pull in order to break free.

When I looked for quotes about slamming screen doors, this by Shel Silverstein got the most search returns:

But these lyrics from the song, Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town, sung by Kenny Rogers are the ones I hear in my mind:

"She's leaving now 'cause I just heard the slamming of the door, the way I've heard it slam a hundred times before...."

One other memory of the screen door slamming lies firmly planted in my little grey cells. It is from when my younger brother was a baby. My sister and I, and sometimes my older brother, were quick to learn, and heed, taking care when the door was opened and shut so that it wouldn't awaken the sleeping baby.

One day our neighbor boy came down to play with Ron. The boys went out, my brother first and then Normie and Norman let the screen door slam. I followed him outside and yelled at him: "Don't do that again! You'll wake up the baby!" I was angry though it probably didn't bother him at all. My 'little mother' role as the ten-year-old big sister was very important to me. 😠 💗

No comments:

Post a Comment