Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2023

Ramona Worth $150,000 to $250,000

The title of this post is definitely misleading but not 'fake news'. It is not about me, therefore misleading, but it is a real news story which I read this morning. 


This painting by N.C. Wyeth was one of four illustrations he did for the 1939 edition of Helen Hunt Jackson's book Ramona. It was purchased in 2017 in a New Hampshire thrift store by a woman looking for picture frames to repurpose. She paid $4.00 for it. The auction company expects the painting to bring between $150,000 to $250,000 when it is auctioned on September 19th.


This is the cover of the 1939 edition. The untitled illustration is of Ramona and Father Salvierderra.

I believe the top photo is from the frontispiece. (The illustration facing the title page of the book.)

The article stated that only one other of the original four illustrations has been found.







Which was this one of Ramona and Alessandro on the Narrow Trail. It sold for $665,000 in 2014.

I haven't found an example of the fourth illustration yet.







I have read the book Ramona several times over the years.

This is the cover of the paperback version which is on my bookshelf now. 

It was printed in Canada in 1970. I doubt the original illustration for this cover will ever sell for thousands of dollars, but I do like it alot.





And this is where it resides in situ on my bookshelf - right behind my Isabel Bloom sculpture, Woman Reading. As anyone who knows me well, knows I am a reading woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment